You can’t beat a great family favorite recipe that works well both at home and on the road! That’s why Cowboy Casserole is a perfect meal to take when you go camping in your new or used RV from Bill Plemmons. It’s quick and easy to make – as well as clean up – and you can make it on your RV’s outdoor kitchen cooktop or even the campfire. Giddyup!
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Dutch oven
- ½ pound bacon – save yourself a step and cut it into small pieces ahead of time!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans of baked beans with pork (15 oz each)
- Barbeque sauce
- 1 package refrigerated biscuit dough (7 ½ oz)
- Set your Dutch oven over the campfire or outdoor kitchen cooktop. Once it’s hot (medium-high if using cooktop), toss in the bacon and cook until browned. While bacon is cooking, chop the onion.
- When bacon is crisp, drain off the grease. Tear the bacon into little bite-size pieces (skip this step if you already cut it up).
- Add ground beef and onion to the skillet and cook until meat is fully brown and there are no traces of pink. Drain the grease.
- Add the bacon, beans, and a large splash of barbeque sauce to the beef and onions. Bring to a boil.
- Arrange biscuits in a single layer of the top of the mixture. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through. Spoon mixture over hot biscuits on plates and serve.
This is a filling and hearty camp recipe that your family will love, and in the event that Mother Nature dumps a bunch of rain on your camping trip, you can just as easily make it inside your RV. Contact us today to ask about your RV options that include outdoor kitchens to give yourself plenty of camping meal prep options!